Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
With all of the ruckus from the hurricane preparations this week, I completely neglected the bananas sitting on the counter. Fortunately, I was able to use them to make these moist and delicious Banana Nut Muffins that are naturally sweetened with maple syrup, and filled with healthy fats and added protein. The recipe makes 12 muffins, perfect for a hurricane party or breakfast and healthy snacks for a family for the week.
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 eggs, whisked
1 cup mashed ripe bananas, 3-4 medium bananas
1/4 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup protein powder, (I used peanut butter flavored)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Prepare a medium size non-stick muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, mash up the bananas using a fork. *Note: the riper the bananas are, the sweeter they will taste.
- In a large bowl, mix the coconut oil, maple syrup, and eggs together. Mix in the mashed bananas and milk, followed by the vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the flour, protein powder, oats, and sliced almonds and mix until combined. Add in any additional nuts or dried fruit at this point.
- Divide the batter evenly between and sprinkle tops of muffins with oats, nuts, or fruit of choice.
- Bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. *Note: Muffins continue to bake a few minutes in the warm tin after taking them out, so be mindful of this.
- Let sit for 10 minutes and serve.
I love this recipe because it is so easy and versatile. It gives you the freedom to exchange types of oils, milk, or add-ins used for personal preferences or dietary restrictions. The recipe is also easy to change up, so you never get bored of the same type of muffins. These muffins will keep for 2-3 days outside of the refrigerator, or up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Baking cups are not necessary, but can be used to make serving easier.